SRIs Building Material Testing Labs
Every engineering activity is wrapped with an idea, a design and a construction project. After the project on paper, SRI can help make the thought a reality by ensuring processes run efficiently, construction sites are safe and reliable materials are used.
SRI capabilities in terms of expertise, experience and state – of –the – art analytical equipment can undertake various type of studies related to research and analysis of various products including Cement, Building materials, Roadwork, Soil & Wood.
Functional Areas in Infrastructure sector
- Feasibility studies for the construction of Building / Roads etc .
- Pre and Post construction survey activities.
- Mix Designs for Concrete structures including buildings and rigid pavements.
- Job Mix Formula for Flexible pavements & Road designing.
- Quality evaluation of Raw materials during pre construction.
- In Process checks during construction.
- Post construction quality checks through Non Destructive Evaluations.
- Quality evaluation of Finished products used in construction.
- Failure studies for the structures.
- Third Party QA & QC / Independent Engineers.
- Training Programmes at National & International levels.
PRODUCTS THAT CAN BE EVALUATED / STUDIED
Raw materials : Cement, Concrete, Sand, Aggregates, Bricks, Stones, Lime, Admixtures, Micro silica, Pipes , Fly ash and its products, Gypsum, Pavers, Anti stripping compound, Grout, Bentonite, Water Proofing compound, Coating material, Bitumen, Modified Bitumen, Aluminium section, M S plate, Steel, Angle, Wires, Water, Wood, Ply, Soil, Bituminous mix, Mastic asphalt, GSB, WMM, WBM.
Finished Products: Tiles, Gypsum plaster board, Asbestos, Sanitary Items, wooden doors / shutter, Glass panels, Paint, Enamel, Primer.
Non Destructive Evaluations: Rebound Hammer, UPV, Half cell potential, Cover depth, Rebar mapping.
Site Testing Facility : Core Extraction ( Rigid & bituminous), Compaction study by core cutting & sand replacement methods, Safe Bearing capacity, Standard Penetration test, Earth resistivity.
Survey studies: Topography, Benkelman Beam, Roughness survey, Levels by total station, Traffic survey.
MAJOR PARAMETERS THAT CAN BE STUDIED:
Cement testing laboratory under take Chemical & Physical parameters of Cement, Concrete, Steel , Aggregates, Sand, Bricks, Water, Tiles, Admixture, Microsilica, Stones, Lime.
- Concrete Mix design (M10 to M80 mixes, Lean, SCC, RCC, PQC, DLC etc.).
- Job mix formula ( DBM, SDBC, GSB, WMM).
- Stone Polishing Value.
- Retained Tensile strength.
- Durability studies of Concrete.
- Surface Abrasion of Tiles.
- Frost resistance/ Freezing & thawing.
- Potential Alkali Aggregate Reactivity by Mortar Bar method.
- Petrography of stones/ aggregates.
- Marsh Cone Viscosity of Clay materials.
- Marshall Stability & Flow Value of Bituminous materials.
- Permeability of Hardened Concrete.
- Heat of Hydration of Cement.
- Drying Shrinkage of Cement & AAC Blocks.
- Whiteness of White Cement.
- Slake Durability of aggregates.
- Alkali Silica Reactivity in aggregates.
- Alkali Carbonate Reactivity in aggregates.
MAJOR PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN
Assessment of Probability of collapsing of overhead water tank without any external indications of cracks/ seepage.
- Non destructive & Semi destructive evaluations of Column & Beams and other RCC members of building & structures for their rehabilitation.
- Quality checking of materials & Concrete Mix designing up to M 80 grade , with and without additives.
- Designing of Self compacting (SCC) & Roller compacting Concrete (RCC).
- Verification/ Vetting of Concrete Mix Design.
- Non destructive & Semi NDT evaluations of existing structure of the Heritage buildings.
- Evaluation of Concrete materials and Concrete Mix design to set up various thermal power plant.
- Studies on the Sulphate Resistant RCC pipes for checking whether the pipes really based on sulphate resistant cement.
- Post Construction quality control works.
- Independent Engineers for the development of Industrial Areas.
- Third Party Quality control works for Housing Projects.
- Quality Control and Technical Inspection of the different infrastructure projects including Roads, Bridges, Infiltration wells, Over head tanks, Water supply systems ,sewerage systems etc.
- Quality evaluation of materials used in the large Hydro projects.
- Studies on the Engineered Cementitious materials.
- Development of method for fast curing of Cellular Light weight concrete blocks.
- Establishing correlation between NDT and Semi NDT techniques.
- Assessment of the failure of roads and proposal for the design and construction of new road.
- Studies on the collapse of structure e.g. RCC tank, Pier cap, Strayed bridge , Road etc .
STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS FOLLOWED
- Indian Standard Specification (ISS)
- British Standard Specifications (BS)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- European Standards (EN)
- German Standards (DIN)
- Japanese Standards (JIS)
- Canadian Standards(CSA)
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- Saudi Arabian Standards (SASO)
- Indian Road Congress (IRC)
- CPWD Specifications
- MOST / MORTH specifications
- Defence Specification (DRDO)