Material Science Division is actively involved in the area of herbs with
medicinal value and economic benefit.
The R&D areas include:
Major R&D Projects
- Formulation development
- New product development
- Retention of color fastness in henna cones on storage
- Phytoremediation of arsenic in ground water
- Extraction process for hypericin from hypericum plant
Several projects related to the quality
evaluation of herbal products are being actively pursued by the Drug and
Pharmaceutical section of Biology Division of SRI.
In view of the excessive utilization and continuous depletion of petroleum
reserves, SRI is involved in the development of products based on renewable
natural resources as substitute of petroleum derived products. These
Major R&D Projects
- Organic active extraction
- Eco-friendly composites
- Bio- degradable fibers/ polymers
- Natural mordants for dyeing with natural dyes
Some of the projects based on renewable sources undertaken by SRI
- Anti-oxidants from natural source
SRI has successfully isolated natural antioxidant gum guaiac from
Guaiacum officianale plant. Antioxidant effectiveness of isolated
gum guaiac in fats/oils was found comparable with commercial
- Epoxidised oil from plant seeds Epoxidised oil was extracted from
seeds of Vernonia plant. This naturally epoxidised oil can be used
as plasticizer/stabilizer in PVC based compositions replacing
synthetically produced epoxidised soyabean oil.
- Cardanol from cashew nut shell liquid
A distillation process has been developed to recover 90% cardanol,
which is light in color and does not darken upto one month.
Irradiation technology finds applications in processing of food,
agriculture products, healthcare and cosmetic products, crosslinking of
wires and cables, and modification of polymers for various end use.
Major R & D Projects
SRI has worked on following radiation-based technologies:
- Shelf-life enhancement of fruits
Optimization of gamma radiation doses for shelf-life enhancement of
apples has been carried out. Irradiation increases shelf-life by
delaying the ripening process.
- Detoxification of aflatoxin in peanuts
Toxic aflatoxin metabolites which are carcinogenic are found in
peanuts. Irradiation of peanuts by UV and gamma rays has been able
to detoxify the aflatoxin.
- Epoxy based composites by electron beam curing process
Glass fibre-Epoxy composites with superior mechanical & thermal
properties have been developed for automobiles and aircraft
- Wood polymer composites
Wood polymer composites based on inferior wood species have been
developed with properties comparable to or better than teak.
- Remediation of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
Polychlorinated Biphenyls found in oil, capacitors and paint
scrapings of old ships have been radiolysed by gamma irradiation.
- Surface coating formulations for wood laminates
The high performance electron beam curable surface coating
formulation for wood, wood laminates/boards based on 100% solid
acrylate offer superior combination of properties leading to
versatility of performance.
- Treatment of city sewage by radiation
Effect of gamma radiation treatment on sewage was studied.
Reduction in microbiological load (BOD and COD) in waste sewage was
achieved by gamma irradiation. Improvement in the settling time of
waste was also observed.
- PVC compounds for wire and cable industry
Crosslinking in PVC compounds was achieved using gamma irradiation.
Crosslinked PVC compound was found to have good thermo-mechanical
- Colouration of Gem-stones
Different colours in gem stones were achieved by exposing them at
various radiation doses.
The rapid rate of industrialization and urbanization has led to increasing
amount of industrial as well as municipal waste, which poses great
difficulties in its disposal. Keeping in view the environmental hazards
associated with the plastic, there is an urgent need to develop eco-
friendly ways for utilization of such type of waste.
SRI has successfully developed various ecofriendly ways for utilization of
plastic waste which include:
- Process Engineered Fuels (PEFs) from plastic wastes
Process engineered fuels with different calorific values have been
developed from plastic and agri wastes, which may be used in
boilers, furnaces and kilns.
- Road Construction
Composition comprising bitumen, concrete and plastic wastes were
developed for road construction having better properties than the
conventional bituminous road.
- Value Added Products
Plastic furnitures made from waste material with good durability
and aesthetics have been developed.
Polypallets developed at SRI were found excellent substitute of
wood pallets for stacking of sacks.
SRI has been undertaking projects for utilization of various agro
wastes. Some of the projects undertaken are:
- Precipitated silica from rice husk ash
Rice husk ash poses environmental problem during disposal off. SRI
has developed technology to make silica from this waste material.
- Microcrystalline cellulose from ground nut shell
The shells of peanuts are useless and are environmental hazard. SRI
has successfully developed a technology for making microcrystalline
cellulose from this waste.
Lot of industrial waste is generated in processing and production
industries which poses environmental problem. SRI has been undertaking
projects for value addition in an environment friendly way. Some of the
projects undertaken in this field are:
- Ordinary portland cement from flyash
Flyash is considered to be a potential environmental hazard during
disposal. This has been successfully used in cement compositions
without impairing the performance of the cement.
- Tiles from ceramic fiber waste
Waste ceramic short fibers creating environmental problem are used
to make antistatic floor tiles with good aesthetics.
SRI has a wide range of state of the art equipment for characterization of
polymers, which includes:
- Thermal Analysis Instruments
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter 910/TA 2100
- Modulated Differential Scanning Calorimeter TA-2910
- SDT-2960 Simultaneous DTA-TGA
- Heat Distortion and Vicat Softening Point Apparatus
- Instruments For Rheological Properties
- Rheocord-RC-90 Torque Rheometer
- Mixer Module
- Extruder Module with Single and Conical Twin Screws
- Haake Rotaviscometer RV-12 & RV-30
SRI has a rich pilot plant facility housing various processing
equipment, which include:
- Polymer Processing Equipment
- Injection moulding
- Extruder with pelletizer
- Pipe extrusion line
- Compression moulding
- Scrap cutter & grinder
- Two roll mills for rubber/plastic compounding
- Polymer dispersion kneader with online pelletizer
- High speed plastic blender
- Dispersion kneader
- Adhesive coating machine
- Ball mill
- Stainless steel / Glass lined reactors
- Vacuum impregnation unit
Technologies Available For
- Technology for the production of cling film for packaging
- Plastic wares for biotechnological research.
- Cross-linkable compositions based on PVC & PE by EB
irradiation for high performance wires and cables.
- Technology for the manufacture of low cost disposable sanitary
- Water based adhesive for tyre retreading.
- Ceramic fiber insulated laminated board for interior application.
- Technology for road marking paint.
- Technology for glue stick.
- Process for colorless, orderless lanolin
- Dental cement
- Blood bag
- Bone cement
- Vaginal Speculum
- Hot melt adhesive for book binding
Materials Science Division undertakes time-bound contract research
pertaining to identification, modification and development of processes for
commercialization of desired product to the satisfaction of the sponsor. The
division develops contemporary technologies in the context of globalization
and hi-tech industrial competition and helps to upgrade the existing ones.
Material Science Division of SRI also undertakes research work on behalf of
the big and multinational companies after signing an MOU and confidentiality
agreement. The expertise and infrastructure of MSD are therefore offered as
a base for corporate R&D tie-up in the mutual interest. The interests of
the sponsors are taken care of both from confidentiality as well as IPR
point of view.
The interested sponsor may contact the Deputy Director & Head -MSD by
sending an enquiry in the attached format duly filled.
Format For Enquiry
R&D services required
- New Polymeric product development
- Modification of process/product
- Cost reduction in process/ product
- Plastic compounding
- Rubber formulation development
- Polymer Processing
- Polymer characterization
- Specialty products
- Waste utilization
- Any other
Scale up Studies
Shriram Institute has the expertise to scale up the Research and
Development work undertaken at laboratory scale to pilot plant scale and
subsequently to commercial scale.
The scientists also provide the necessary inputs to the entrepreneurs to
set up a commercial plant after demonstrating the feasibility of the
commercial production process.
There are a number of troubles encountered in the processing of plastic
materials, which badly affect the product quality. The troubles are
rectified by means of certain troubleshooting procedures. The generally
adopted trouble shooting procedures are:
Investigation of the root cause of the trouble
Checking of the process parameters involved
Analysis of the quality parameters of raw material
Verification of the control parameters of the machines
Studying of the design of the machine parts, mould /die etc.
Modification of the product design
Optimization of the process and control parameters
Inorganic Chemicals &
SRI help to ensure the quality /purity of the chemicals & fertilizers
by testing & certifying them using national & international
Products, Parameters, Instrumentation, Speclalized
Ion Exchange Resins
Trace Metal analysis
Ion Exchange Capacity
Water Soluble Phosphates
Other elements i.e. Fe, Cu, Mn, Zn, Pb, Cr, CO, Ni, Mg, B,
MO, V, Mn etc.
- Re-Validation of the Chemicals
- Bulk analysis of the Industrial Fine chemicals
- Bulk analysis of the Fertilizers
- Identification of the Unknown Chemicals
- Ultra Trace metal analysis in the chemicals
Setting up of New Laboratory
Atomic Absorption spectrophotometer
Selective Ion analyzer
CHNSO Elemental Analyzer
Melting Point Apparatus